Acupuncture and Arthritis
- Research: Acupuncture for Knee Osteoarthritis: It Works! Study concluded that acupuncture provided significantly better relief from knee osteoarthritis pain and a larger improvement in function than the standard treatment of care.
- Arthritis: Acupuncture An overview of acupuncture for treating arthritis pain.
- Acupuncture Helps Knee Osteoarthritis Study shows a decrease in knee osteoarthritis pain and an increase in knee osteoarthritis function with Chinese acupuncture.
- New Support for Acupuncture in Knee Arthritis Acupuncture reduced pain and stiffness and increased physical function in patients with knee osteoarthritis.
Acupuncture and Acute/Chronic Pain
- More Evidence Acupuncture Can Ease Chronic Pain The conclusion that acupuncture is effective in relieving chronic pain stems from an analysis of 29 studies involving 18,000 patients.
- Research: Acupuncture or Drugs for Back Pain? Acupuncture is effective at treating low back pain and potentially more effective at treating acute low back pain than medication.
- Research:Acupuncture Beats Aspirin for Chronic Pain. A review of studies involving nearly 4,000 patients with migraine, tension headache and other forms of chronic headache showed that that 62 percent of the acupuncture patients reported headache relief compared to 45 percent of people taking medications, the team at Duke University found.
- MRI Shows That Acupuncture Treatments Reduce Pain Sticking an acupuncture needle into a point in the hand greatly diminishes the amount of brain activity associated with pain impulses, doctors report.
Acupuncture and Headaches/Migraines
- Acupuncture May Be Useful for Migraines Study after study has shown acupuncture to be effective in treating a host of different ailments, but new research is raising questions about why the ancient Chinese practice works.
- Acupuncture May Help Tension Headaches Fewer Headaches With Acupuncture, Report German Researchers
- Acupuncture May Ease Impact of Headaches Acupuncture Lessens Suffering Due to Chronic Daily Headaches
- Acupuncture May Be Useful for Migraines Acupuncture May Have Potent Placebo Effect, Like Many Complex Medical Procedures, Say Researchers
Acupuncture After Surgery
- Research: Acupuncture Reduces Hip Surgery Pain Acupuncture improves hip joint function, decreases post-operative pain, reduces need for medication and prevents complications, such as nausea and vomiting.
- Acupuncture May Lessen Post-Op Pain, Nausea Study Shows Ancient Chinese Practice Is as Effective as Drugs After Breast Surgery
Acupuncture and Infertility
- Acupuncture Points Successful for Infertility Treatment Research shows acupuncture is effective for the treatment of infertility.
- Research:Acupuncture Shows Promise In Improving Rates Of Pregnancy Following IVF. A review of seven clinical trials of acupuncture given with embryo transfer in women undergoing in vitro fertilization (IVF) suggests that acupuncture may improve rates of pregnancy.
- Acupuncture May Improve Sperm Quality Acupuncture may help some men overcome infertility problems by improving the quality of their sperm, according to a new study.
- Acupuncture: A Cure for Infertility? Tuesday, April 26, 2005. NEW YORK - At 36, Lucy Appert has suffered through two miscarriages, a stillbirth at 8 1/2 months and, because of a rare pregnancy-related liver dysfunction, intensive illness and surgery.
- Acupuncture 'boosts IVF success' Women undergoing fertility treatment could have their chances of success boosted by acupuncture.
Acupuncture and Menopause
- Acupuncture shows promise for hot flashes Study shows acupuncture reduces the severity of nighttime hot flashes in menopausal women.
Acupuncture and PMS/Menstrual Problems
- Acupuncture could help period pain. Acupuncture may be an effective way of alleviating severe period pain, a review of existing studies suggests.
- Acupuncture Helps Menstruation and PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) Research shows that both electrical and manual acupuncture improve the frequency of menstruation and decrease the circulating androgens in women with PCOS.
Acupuncture and Pregnancy
- Acupuncture Helps Relieve Pregnancy's Low Back Pain For low back pain during pregnancy, acupuncture may be better than traditional treatment with massage, heat, and exercise, according to a Swedish report.
- Acupuncture for pregnancy depression University of Texas at Austin researchers say acupuncture may effectively treat depression during pregnancy.
- Acupuncture May Cut Pregnancy Pelvic Pain Acupuncture and exercises to help stabilize the pelvis and lower back help ease pelvic/hip pain during pregnancy, say Swedish researchers.
Acupuncture and Weight-Loss
- Research: Study Shows Acupuncture Effective for Weight Loss. Acupuncture is an effective weight loss tool, according to a recent study. With more and more people adding acupuncture to their weight loss came the need for a critical assessment of the studies that have been performed. The International Journal of Obesity just published a review of 31 studies on the efficacy of acupuncture in the treatment of obesity. The systematic review was comprised of 3013 individual cases where acupuncture was used to reduce body weight.
- Tackling Asia's growing waistline TIANJIN, China (CNN) — Acupuncture needles get planted on the flabby frame of Cheng Jian, a 20-year-old student undergoing treatment to cure obesity.
Acupuncture and Stress/Anxiety
- Acupuncture Calms Mom's Stress, Anxiety Acupuncture Makes Moms Less Anxious, Resulting in Less Anxiety in Children
Acupuncture and Cancer
- Research: Acupuncture for Breast Cancer Related Hot Flashes and Insomnia. Study showed clinically significant improvement in quality sleep and relieve from hot flashes in acupuncture group
- Research:Two Modes of Acupuncture May Work for Hot Flushes. Two modes of acupuncture appear to decrease the number and distress of hot flushes in men receiving castrational treatment for prostate cancer, according to a Swedish study.
- Acupuncture eases breast cancer therapy. U.S. researchers say acupuncture may relieve joint pain often accompanying breast cancer treatment.
Other News About Acupuncture
- The point about pain: New study sheds light on acupuncture. A new paper published by the journal Nature Neuroscience states acupuncture eases pain in the limbs because it releases a natural molecule called adenosine.
- Research: Acupuncture May Ease the Itch of Eczema. An acupuncture session may bring some itch relief to people with the allergic skin condition known as atopic eczema, a preliminary German study suggests.
- NY Times: Acupuncture Moves Toward the Mainstream. Alfred Szymanski turned to acupuncture to lower his blood pressure after exercise and drugs failed
- CNN: Brain imaging suggests acupuncture works, study says
- Med Schools Opening Up to Alternative Medicine Once largely dismissed as a leftover fad from the Age of Aquarius, acupuncture, herbal remedies and other forms of alternative medicine are finding their way into curriculums at traditional medical schools - most recently the University of Pennsylvania.
- Scientists prove acupuncture works Acupuncture does have real health benefits, two separate studies have found.
- Acupuncture Gains Acceptance in Western Health Care Since it surfaced in the U.S. in the 1970s, acupuncture has gained acceptance as an alternative to traditional Western medicine, for pain relief and for treating a variety of other health conditions.
- Acupuncture Treatment is Safe Acupuncture is a relatively safe form of treatment, according to two studies published in the Sept. 1 issue of the British Medical Journal.